The Portugal Golden Visa holders and their family have the right to reside, work, and attend school in Portugal and Visa-free travel to the 26 Schengen countries in Europe. After 5 years, the candidate can apply for permanent residence. And after 6 years from the beginning of the investment, the candidate can apply for Portuguese citizenship.
The beneficiaries of Portugal Golden Visa are entitled to:
- Residence visa waiver for entering Portugal;
- Living and working in Portugal, on condition that they stay in Portugal for a period of 7 or more days, in the first year, and 14 or more days, in the subsequent years (14 cumulative days in years 2 and 3, and 14 days cumulative days in years 4 and 5);
- Visa exemption for travelling within the Schengen Area;
- Family reunification;
- Applying for permanent residence;
- Applying for Portuguese citizenship.
There are several advantages in being a Golden Visa holder. Such as:
- Only an average of 6-8 months to get European Union (EU) residence permits;
- Be granted Portugal and EU benefits;
- Visa-free travel to the 26 countries of Schengen area;
- Applying for Portuguese citizenship/EU citizenship, which gives free-visa access to 150+ countries;
- Live, study, work in EU with family & children;
- No worldwide income taxes;
- Earn 4%/year after construction completion and get 100% refund after 5 years;
- Quick processing, 90 to 180 days for initial application and 60 days for renewal;
- Management buys back after 5 years for permanent residency, or 6 years for citizenship.
And after applying for the Portuguese citizenship/EU citizenship, there are even more advantages:
- – Powerful passport;
- – Visa-free access to 150+ countries;
- – Free movement inside EU;
- – Train, study & work anywhere in the EU;
- – The best Health Care system;
- – Free EU health insurance card;
- – Highest food safety in the world;
- – Free education in most countries;
- – Non-discrimination;
- – Vote and be a candidate for the EU parliament and local elections.
The resident permit grants the foreign citizens the same treatment as nationals, particularly about social security, tax benefits, European Union membership (EU), recognition of diplomas, certificates and other professional titles. It also grants access to goods and services available to the public, as well as the application of provisions that grant them special rights.
For most intents and purposes the resident permit to put the foreign nationals (non-EU) on par with other citizens of Europe. One of the greatest benefits of this is that Golden Visa holders may apply for a permanent residence permit in the 5th year and thereafter may acquire Portuguese nationality by naturalization in the 6th year, if they fulfil certain requirements in accordance with the law.
As an investor, applying for Portugal Golden Visa is a safe choice that will concede you lots of benefits with very few requirements:
- No requirement on management experience
- No requirement on age, language or education credentials
- Simple process of application
- Quick processing time to receive residence permits
- Various and low choices for investment, only 350,000EUR++
- No strict requirement on Source of Funds
- High return based on annual rental guarantee of 4%*
- No age limit (just have to be 18 years or older)
- Investment period for at least 5 years or until the time the investor can get the Permanent Residence card
- Comply with the minimum time of staying in Portugal (1st year: 7 days; 2nd and 3rd year: 14 days; 4th and 5th year: 14 days)
- After the 5th year, the Investor can apply easily for permanent residency
- After the 6th year, the Investor can apply easily for Portugal/EU citizenship
- Comply with the Health Insurance Policy
- Refund 100% of investment after 5 years or flexible schedule of refund based on the desire of Investors
- Right to live, do business, study in Portugal and/or EU under certain conditions
- Travel freely within the Schengen zone
- Portugal doesn’t charge tax on worldwide income
*ROI may change due to different assets/projects.
*ROI may change due to different assets/projects.
There are no interviews for Golden Visa applicants.
The applicant and all family members must go to Portugal for a minimum of 3 business days to do the biometrics, to sign papers, and to finalize the submission with Portuguese authorities.
After the 5th year of investment, the investor can apply for permanent residency, if he/she desires. After the 6th year of investment, the investor can also apply for Portugal/EU citizenship, if he/she desires.
Portugal Golden Visa is a very simple process. Check step by step:
1 – The investor sends complete and signed documents and the lawyer schedule the appointment for the investor. The documents are: Signed service agreement with Mercan/one of its partners, Signed declaration, Coloured readable copy of Passport (and translation if not in Portuguese, English of French) of every family member, and Complete “Golden Visa- Online Pre-register” form (to be filled out by every family member).
2 – Now it’s time for the document authentication. First, the investor receives legal package. After, the investor goes to the Portuguese Embassy to sign and certify legal documents (Power of Attorney, Lease Agreement and Investor’s Agreement). Later, the investor sends certified legal documents and additional documents needed to open a bank account. The Portugal bank account will be opened under the investor’s name. And the additional documents to open are: Proof of address (document issued in the name of the investor and dated less than 3 months), and Proof of activity/employment and List of net assets.
3- The final step is the preparation for visiting Portugal. Now, the investor obtains personal documents for SEF interview. These must be issued up to three months prior the submission to SEF, translated to Portuguese and authenticated. The personal documents are: Criminal record of Investor and each family member 16 years old or above, Marriage certificate, if applicable, Birth Certificate, and Proof of continuing studies, if applicable. It is important to notice that the document authentication process varies per country.
The investor applies for Shengen visa after receiving appointment date with SEF and he/she attains Health Insurance subscription for every family member. Later, the investor transfers investments to Portuguese bank account. The deed of ownership is issued to the investor after the purchase is executed. Finally, the investor travels to Portugal for SEF interview and sings SEF’s application form and Sworn Statement upon arrival.
Applicants should present:
- Signed service agreement with Mercan/one of its partners;
- Signed declaration;
- Coloured readable copy of Passport (and translation if not in Portuguese, English of French) of every family member;
- “Golden Visa- Online Pre-register” form (to be filled out by every family member);
- Power of Attorney;
- Lease Agreement;
- Investor’s Agreement;
- Proof of address (document issued in the name of the investor and dated less than 3 months);
- Proof of activity/employment;
- List of net assets;
- Criminal record of Investor and each family member 16 years old or above;
- Marriage certificate, if applicable;
- Birth Certificate;
- Proof of continuing studies, if applicable.